Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Wonderful Cross

Here is the chorus from the hymn, "Thge Wwonderful Cross."

O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die and find that I may truly live
O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
All who gather here by grace draw near and bless
Your name

We sang this at church this morning. It humbles me to think of the agony that my Saviour endured for my sake.
He carried God's judgement on my sin; that I should be baptized in his blood to "truly live." Oh how "Sorrow and love flow mingled down," from the torture of that rugged cross.

You will note my use of the term "baptized." It is so as I witnessed a baby being baptized too. I have adhered to the sacrament that baptism should be restricted to older children and adults because of their cognitive ability to discern the significance of the agreement that they are participating. How, I used to think, can an infant be cursed by sin? It is said this sin comes by nature. Physically that infant has done nothing that is sinful. However, humanity is all tainted by the Fall -- that sin which was conceived by Adam and Eve. So just as I am sinful, and was the reason why Christ went to the cross, then it bvecomes less repugnant to understand why infants share in that state. The water of baptism, the blood of Christ, signifies that we are raised with Him and to live as co-inheritors
to share in his glory (Col. 2:12) (Rom. 8:17).

No comments: