Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Some Birthday Thoughts

Today was my birthday.

I hold the view that whomever you know has a birthday you should make a point of bringing honour to that someone with a card or some kind of greeting. For it is an anniversary of unequalled value. God brought that person into being for a purpose:

"for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." (Philippians 2:12-14)

and each purpose is unique in God's s
ight. As we are taught through Scripture to revere God, we accordingly should show respect for his Creation. I try to make this my practise, my small ministry, by sending out a card. If God would so see it that I have wherewithal in the future I would like to be able to take these same people out for a dinner or a lunch. This is an idea I received from reading Harvey MacKay's book, Swim with the Sharks without Being Eaten Alive (Ivy Books, 1989). However the underlying motive of Mackay's instruction was to generate sales leads and business. I think you should do it for the opposite reason. Do it to be nice.

Today's activities began with some energy as the stereo came on . After the obligatory maintenance work was dealt with, I prayed. I thanked the Lord for the breathe that fills my lungs and everything else that keeps me alive. Although I shall look to the day when I am returned home too. For I thanked him for the years that I have in, and what I have been taught from the imperfect and the kind persons whom He has had me associate. I also sought would He inform of where he is working, and may I be placed there to be a jar of clay.

My sister and a friend, Dawn, sent me e-cards from Dayspring. They both sent the same card. I was delighted to receive them, and couldn't help but think that they had conspired on the card selection. Further, I was quite amused to find my name in the card artwork (it is central to the message). I thought they had had added my name somehow. I sent an email to both of them thanking them for their blessing.

My sister phoned later in the morning to say they had not. She went looking for a card to send me and, without programming any names, there it was, a card with the name Darryl in it. I don't believe in coincidences, and rarely do I come across cards with any names other Jesus Christ to accept this could be something more that it is not. The Bible verse accompanying the card is
Isaiah 46:4 (NIV):

Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he [God], I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Well, I have been showing some gray hairs for more than a little while.

I confirmed with Dawn later in the afternoon that there was no scheme. It was as Linda said. Just the same, what a wonderful beginning to the day.

I rode my bike to work. Since Saturday I had not take the time to wash it. This was a mistake. As the grit from the mud puddles of that day had adhered to the chain and gears causing a "loss of power." I spoke with a colleague who says a good wash and re-oiling with 3-in-One will bring it back to snuff. I'll do that on Saturday.

The rest of my birthday was filled with work at the job. My colleagues bought me lunch, and we enjoyed a great buffet. I worked out a plan that will save my boss some money on new printers. Although I lose out in giving up my own workstation printer, it is worth it in the long run.

I am but a week away from retiring my Canada Student Loan. I have been carrying that thing for the last twenty years. This event will place me all that closer to obtaining a mortgage hopefully in a couple of years time.


This evening I spent time with my friends, Malcolm and Ginny, enjoying a brilliant dinner at Big T's Smokehouse Restaurant. We each have busy summers lying ahead. Alas, there will be little camping time together as in the past several summers. Hopefully we can do a couple of hikes.

I close out the evening with this entry. I have received a great number of greeting from other friends via email and Facebook. I am happy. It has been a great day.

Another year is a happy gift,
So cut your cake, and say,
"Instead of counting birthdays,
I'll count my blessings every day!"

- JAPB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to a special day!

grr