Tuesday, July 29, 2008

That's Life; Recap of July 21-25, 2008

The past week found me getting back into the swing of things at work, and preparing to read a sermon at church.

Having returned to work on July 17th I was faced with dealing a with a small backlog of tasks at my job in Appraisal and Valuation Services. Because I am the only admin supporting the two teams, and there is no coverage when I leave for vacation or whatever, work tends to accumulate.

For the most part work remains consistent over the year. We don't have spikes in activity just because its tax time or its Christmas. Summer time does find less people in the building, but there is always real estate that needs to be appraised, and business that are being valued (esp., large ones) tend to take months to evaluate. All said, I was able to get most of work caught up in several days. I even took some time off to have a dental cleaning on Tuesday.

The big activity for me of last week was preparing to read a sermon at church on Sunday. Our pastor and family were away on vacation. As an Elder of the church I assumed the responsibility to select a sermon written by another pastor within the denomination, and consult with our Worship Team to have a service organized around it. the music selected was great. I prepared some PowerPoint slides to match the content of the sermon. When we tried to fire the animation in our MediaShout program at the church during rehearsal it didn't work (this would be Wednesday). This meant it had to be redone. So did the script for the projectionist. in the course of that I enlarge the number of slides in total. Re-organized the script. that took me to 2 AM Thursday morning. Had everything ready to go at the church on Thursday afternoon.

Following having everything at the church, I took some time to ride my bike through Fish Creek Provincial Park, which is close-by. With all the rainfall we have been having lately, everything is looking green. I found a nice place in the park to soak up some sun and listen to the water in the creek go by.

Friday found me with my regular day off (called a CDO). I took my car in for an oil change. Before leaving home I threw my bike in the back of the car. So just before giving the keys to the service manager I took out the bike. I had a nice ride home, taking some time to capture a photograph or two; stopped in at the job to show off my bike, and ride along the Bow river on my ride home. the weather was just great the whole morning. In the early afternoon I picked up the car. I was a little late for my chiro appointment, but got through it. I eventually went home for the rest of the evening. More to come later...

No comments: