Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson

As tragic as it is that Michael Jackson is dead let us not forget that his was only one of very many yesterday.


Each one was just as important as Jacksons. Dont get me wrong I liked his music. I dont know how many times I have watched the videoThriller with delight. No matter who copied or parodied him, none were his equal. He was born into this world, one might think, for the express purposes of innovating music and dance. He did his piece, albeit at the end things got weird, and now he is gone. Where, I dont care to judge. Lets leave it at that.


Once again, he was not the only person that died yesterday. Yes, Farrah Fawcett died yesterday too. Her cancer story might even be regarded as far more tragic. Somehow her death has been pushed aside by the spotlight that now shines on Jackson. How about all those people who have never achieved celebrity or hero status (except in the hearts and minds of their family)? I bet if we were to open the obits in the local paper there would be a number of people whose lives lived should be celebrated; whose achievements improved their communities and professions. Wheres their spotlight?


Wheres the limelight for the many that are dispossessed, hungry, poor and persecuted? CNN reported that Jackson’s death almost caused the Internet to crash yesterday. Youll never hear of calamity caused because some nobody was cold and hungry. I never understand what causes such outpouring of adoration that we give to celebrities. Apparently last night Larry King, the talk show host, said if you were astounded by the media coverage and gossip given to Anna Nicole Smith's death, you aint seen anything yet. Oh, I have to admit I did turn to CBC and CNN to confirm the Jackson tragedy when I first heard about it. Well, short of learning why he died lets give him back to his family. End of story, literally and please.


JAPB

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with all you have said..., so very TRUE...,
May he RIP for he did not here on earth.

Just a Prairie Boy said...

Thank you for your feedback.

M L Slomp said...

You stated what I felt. Since 9/11, celebrity and the tabloids have gotten waaaaaaaaaaaay out of hand. Just look at Jon & Kate. I think everyone needs to take a look at the perspective and find true heroes. I pray that my children will look up to people who deserve it.

Jocelyn said...

I read that if the queen had died, Michael Jackson would still get more media coverage than her. Sad isn't it?

Just a Prairie Boy said...

It used to be that celebrities were followed for escapism, esp. in the Thirties and Forties when things were really bad. Now, I think it has become a form of worship. Think of it, Canadian/American Idol. "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below." -- Exodus 20:4

Granted, there have been a number of Christians that have been on these shows, but we must be careful of what we adore.